Moi-moi is a very popular known delicious Nigerian dish , made out of black eyed beans. This dish can be eaten as either breakfast or with a side of pap ( custard) or as lunch which is served as usually as a side dish at with rice . Moi-Moi is one of the most served dishes at all types of occasions In Nigeria ( birthday parties , weddings , etc ) . This dish was originally prepared by steaming method, which the beans batter is either poured in banana leaves, cans or even plastic bags . In this recipe I will be using a muffin tin and I will be baking the batter in an oven.
Beans have a high amount protein , rich in fiber, complex carbohydrates, folate, iron and several vitamins. Beans are fat free, sodium free and cholesterol free.
– With the high amount of fiber present in beans it helps to lower cholesterol level.
– Beans is an ideal food for management of insulin resistance, diabetes and hyperlipidemia .
– The high protein level in beans can replace meat in a diet, as beans cost is lower than animal proteins ( beef, chicken and fish).
DISHES MADE OUT BEANS IN NIGERIA
- Akara ( beans cake)
- Moi- Moi ( beans pudding)
- Beans porridge
- Rice and beans served with stew
- Rice and beans jollof
- Beans soup ( miyan wake)
INGREDIENTS FOR MOI-MOI IN A MUFFIN PAN
- 350g of blacked beans ( washed and peeled)
- 1 large paprika
- 1 large red onion
- 2 scotch bonnets
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1 raw egg
- 1 tablespoon of paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon of crayfish
- 1 can of sardine
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ cooking spoon of sun flower
- 2 table spoons of palm oil
- 3 knorr cubes
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- Pour washed and peeled beans in a blender , pour water to the same level as the beans. Blend it twice or until you get a smooth paste. Pour the pale white beans batter in a bowl,
- Add chopped onion, paprika and scotch bonnet in the blender and blend . Pour the mixture into the pale beans mixture and mix together .
- Add palm oil, sunflower oil into the mixture together with all the seasonings, crayfish and break the raw egg into the batter, then you taste the batter for salt.
- Grease the muffin pan with a cooking spray or cooking oil.
- Make a water bath for the muffin tray by adding hot water into a an oven tray and you put into the oven to seam up for about 15 minutes at 200c .
- Pour the batter into the muffin pan, then you add your boiled eggs and sardines on each muffin cup .
- Cover the muffin tray with an aluminum foil and place in the pre-heated oven to bake for 45 – 50 minutes at 200c .
- Check Moi –Moi every 15 minutes if the water dries up , you should add more water until it is complexly cooked through and a toothpick comes out with little or no crumbs.
- Leave the Moi-Moi to cool before dishing out with a side of choice.
In this recipe I served mine with Nigerian fried rice and peppered gizzard .
ENJOY YOUR NIGERIAN MOI-MOI BAKED IN A MUFFIN PAN.!!!!